Pumpkin Empanadas are the ultimate autumn morning delight! Experience the bliss of these delectable cinnamon-infused pastries, filled with a delightful blend of pumpkin and orange. These handheld breakfast treats are guaranteed to satisfy your cravings and leave you craving for more.
Pumpkin Empanadas are the ultimate breakfast recipe that is simple to make, quick to bake, and incredibly tasty. With just four ingredients, this recipe can be prepared in under 15 minutes from start to finish. It’s a perfect choice for anyone looking for a delicious morning treat.
Start by reading the recipe, gathering the equipment and ingredients, and then follow the instructions for a hassle-free cooking experience. These Pumpkin Empanadas are sure to satisfy your cravings with their irresistible flavors. Get ready to indulge in a delightful breakfast that will leave you wanting more. Let’s get cooking!
- Canned Pumpkin Puree: This smooth and velvety ingredient adds a delightful pumpkin flavor to the empanadas, lending them a rich and earthy taste.
- Marshmallow Fluff: The addition of marshmallow fluff brings a touch of sweetness and a creamy texture to the filling. It complements the pumpkin flavor beautifully.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: This aromatic blend of spices, including cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, adds warmth and depth of flavor to the empanadas. It’s the perfect seasoning to enhance the pumpkin filling.
- Refrigerated Orange Rolls with Orange Icing: These ready-to-use orange rolls provide a convenient and delicious dough for the empanadas. They come with a delightful orange icing that adds a tangy sweetness to the finished pastries. Brands like Pillsbury Cinnabon offer a great option for this recipe.
When combined, these ingredients create a harmonious blend of pumpkin, marshmallow, and warm spices encased in a fluffy, golden pastry. The result is a delectable treat that is perfect for breakfast or any time of the day.
How to Make
To begin, preheat your oven to 375º to ensure it’s ready for baking when the time comes.
Next, let’s prepare the pumpkin stuffing. In a small mixing bowl, combine the canned pumpkin, marshmallow fluff, and pumpkin pie spices. Mix them together well until you have a smooth and evenly blended mixture.
MIX IT UP: You could boost the flavor of the pumpkin filling by adding orange zest, 1 tablespoon of orange juice and/or 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
Now it’s time to roll out the cinnamon rolls. On a floured cutting board, take one cinnamon roll at a time and use a rolling pin to flatten it out. It helps to sprinkle a little flour on top of each roll before rolling to prevent sticking. Roll the cinnamon roll until it is nicely flattened.
Once you have flattened the cinnamon roll, it’s time to fill it with the pumpkin mixture. Take a tablespoon of the pumpkin mixture and place it onto the cinnamon roll. Gently fold one half of the roll over the other half, creating a half-moon shape. Press the edges together gently to seal the empanada. Repeat this process for the remaining cinnamon rolls and pumpkin mixture.
Prepare a baking pan by lining it with parchment paper. Carefully place the sealed pumpkin empanadas onto the pan, making sure they are evenly spaced apart.
Now it’s time to bake the empanadas. Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes or until the empanadas turn a beautiful golden brown.
Once they are done baking, remove the pan from the oven. To add a finishing touch, use a pastry brush or the back of a spoon to spread the orange icing that came with the refrigerated orange rolls onto the hot empanadas. The heat from the empanadas will help the icing melt and spread evenly.
These Pumpkin Empanadas are best enjoyed immediately while they are still warm. Serve them up and savor the delightful combination of flavors and textures.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some helpful tips and tricks to ensure your Pumpkin Empanadas turn out perfectly:
- Properly roll out the cinnamon rolls: When rolling out the cinnamon rolls, sprinkle a little flour on top of each roll and on the rolling pin to prevent sticking. This will make it easier to flatten the rolls into the desired shape.
- Seal the empanadas well: To prevent the filling from leaking out during baking, make sure to press the edges of the empanadas together firmly to create a secure seal. You can use a fork to crimp the edges for added reinforcement.
- Use parchment paper: Line your baking pan with parchment paper before placing the empanadas on it. This prevents sticking and makes cleanup easier.
- Keep an eye on the baking time: Check the empanadas after the initial baking time (12-15 minutes) and monitor their color. They should turn a golden brown when they are ready. Adjust the baking time accordingly to avoid overcooking or undercooking.
- Let the empanadas cool slightly before icing: After removing the empanadas from the oven, allow them to cool for a few minutes before spreading the icing. This prevents the icing from melting too quickly and allows for a more even distribution.
- Serve immediately: Pumpkin Empanadas are best enjoyed while they are still warm. Serve them fresh from the oven for maximum flavor and enjoyment.
Chocolate, fruit, or cinnamon filling can be added to a sweet empanada. Beef, pork or chicken filling can be added to a savory empanada.
The filling can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week if you end up with extra. Use it to make this recipe again, swirl it into a brownie recipe or use it as a fruit dip.
Yes, you can prepare the pumpkin filling ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Make sure to use it within 2-3 days.
While it is possible to freeze unbaked empanadas, it’s recommended to bake them first and then freeze any leftovers. Baking ensures they hold their shape better and prevents the filling from becoming too runny.
Baked empanadas can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 days if stored in an airtight container. However, for optimal freshness and to maintain their texture, it’s advisable to refrigerate them after the first day.
Absolutely! Feel free to customize the pumpkin filling to suit your taste preferences. You can add additional spices such as cloves, ginger, or even a pinch of nutmeg to enhance the flavor. Chopped nuts or raisins can also be incorporated for added texture and sweetness.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Cool completely: Allow the empanadas to cool completely at room temperature before storing them. This helps prevent moisture buildup and maintains their texture.
- Store in an airtight container: Place the cooled empanadas in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Ensure that the container is properly sealed to keep them fresh.
- Refrigerate or freeze: If you plan to consume the empanadas within a couple of days, store them in the refrigerator. They can typically be refrigerated for up to 3-4 days. If you’d like to store them for a longer period, they can be frozen for up to 2-3 months.
When it comes to reheating the Pumpkin Empanadas, here’s what you can do:
- Oven reheating: Preheat your oven to around 350ºF (175ºC). Place the empanadas on a baking sheet and heat them in the oven for about 8-10 minutes or until they are heated through. This method helps retain their crispiness.
- Microwave reheating: If you’re short on time, you can use a microwave for reheating. Place one or two empanadas on a microwave-safe plate and heat them for about 20-30 seconds on medium power. Heating times may vary, so adjust accordingly to ensure they are heated evenly.
Remember, reheating may slightly alter the texture of the empanadas compared to when they are freshly baked. Enjoy them as soon as possible for the best taste and texture
- Crockpot Creamy Pumpkin Chili Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Easy Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Rolling Pin
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 package refrigerated orange rolls with orange icing we used Pillsbury Cinnabon
- flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Mix pumpkin stuffing. In a small mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, marshmallow fluff, and pumpkin pie spices together.
- Roll out the cinnamon rolls. On a floured cutting board, roll out one cinnamon roll at a time using your rolling pin. It's easier to do if you sprinkle a little flour on top of each roll prior to rolling. Roll until the cinnamon roll is flattened.
- Fill with pumpkin mixture. Using a tablespoon place a scoop of pumpkin mixture onto the cinnamon roll. Gently fold half of the roll over the other half then gently press together to seal. Carefully place the sealed roll onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden browned. Remove from the oven. Using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, spread the icing onto the hot rolls. Serve immediately.