Dessert for breakfast? Always a yes! When you think of banana bread, you don’t typically think mashed avocado will be involved. I’m here to tell you – It’s SO good. This chocolate avocado banana bread is so easy to make, and a healthier version by using avocado instead of butter. Let’s make it!
Ingredients Needed for Chocolate Avocado Banana Bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Ripe avocados
- Vanilla extract
- Ripe bananas
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Fine sea salt
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×5” loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash together the avocado, egg, and vanilla. Do not overmix, it’s OK if it has a chunky texture.
- Stir in the mashed bananas.
- In another bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir the dry flour mixture into the avocado mixture. Gently fold in the semisweet chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the top of the batter with more semisweet chocolate chips.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on a cooling rack. You’ll want to serve this chocolate avocado banana bread with a cup of coffee. It’s that good.
- Leftovers will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- How to freeze the banana bread: cool the banana bread completely and then wrap it in plastic wrap and a layer of foil. This will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator completely before serving.
- Use the spoon and level method with the flour. You will spoon the flour into a measuring cup and then use a knife to level it off. By not doing this method, you might end up with more flour in your batter than you want.
- Special add-ins for extra flavor: shredded coconut, nuts, toffee bits, white chocolate, etc. I would start with ¼ cup per add-in.
- Pro tip: to ripen bananas quickly, add them to a brown paper bag.
Got a sweet tooth? Try these recipe favorites:
I hope you enjoy this banana bread recipe! If you make this recipe or any of my others, I’d love to hear what you think! Leave a comment below, email me, or you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!Print