Halloween is now over and that means it’s time for Christmas! What goes better with Christmas than a chocolate peppermint cupcake? These little babies are chocolatey dare I say it, moist! You won’t be able to eat just one.
I’ve tried so many chocolate cupcake recipes before and have never really found one I truly love. I’ve always thought they were too dry, or the chocolate tasted funny in them. So, I decided to create my own recipe. This is the perfect recipe for a chocolate cupcake and paired with white chocolate buttercream and crushed peppermints, it’s the only recipe you need for chocolate peppermint cupcakes!
- Milk – adds richness and moisture to the cupcakes.
- Vegetable Oil – helps keep the cupcake from drying out.
- Eggs – binds the cupcakes
- Vanilla – enhances the flavor of the chocolate in the cupcakes.
- Granulated Sugar – sweetens the cupcakes.
- Flour – gives the cupcakes structure. Make sure to measure using the spoon and level method.
- Cocoa Powder – gives the cupcakes that yummy chocolate flavor.
- Baking Powder – helps the cupcakes rise.
- Butter – needed to make the frosting.
- Powdered Sugar – sweetens the frosting and gives it structure.
- White Chocolate – gives the frosting it’s flavor.
- Candy Canes – gives the cupcakes the classic holiday flavor.
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the granulated sugar and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Mix just until combined.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake tins, filling each one ¾ of the way full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes to a wire rack and set them aside to cool before frosting.
For the White Chocolate Buttercream
- Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the powdered sugar. Once all of the powdered sugar has been incorporated, add the melted white chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer to high speed and beat until the buttercream is light and fluffy– about 2 minutes. If the buttercream is too dry, feel free to add a tablespoon of milk to bring it together.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with your choice of tip.
- Frost the cupcakes as desired and top with crushed candy canes.
- Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
I mean how delicious do these chocolate peppermint cupcakes look? It’s time to get your holiday baking on with this recipe. I hope you try them out and make memories baking with your family this Christmas!
Looking for more holiday recipes? Give these a try:
- Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Homemade Maple Pecan Granola
- Old Bay Butter Roasted Turkey Breast