When you’re in the mood for a cake but don’t want to spend the entire day baking in the kitchen, this cake is for you. It’s my iced lemon snack cake, all done in an 8×8 inch square pan. Only 9 small pieces of cake with this one, making it an easy recipe for a small birthday or holiday dessert. Let’s make it!
Ingredients Needed (Iced Lemon Snack Cake)
- Cake flour
- Baking powder
- Lemon zest
- Butter, unsalted
- Granulated sugar
- Large eggs
- Almond extract
- Sour cream
- Lemon juice
- Colorful sprinkles
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon juice
- Heavy whipping cream
- To make the iced lemon cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 inch pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, followed by the almond extract, sour cream, and lemon juice. Mix until combined.
- Carefully, add the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared 8×8 pan.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the lemon cake from the oven and let cool for 20 to 30 minutes before removing it to a cooling rack.
Make the icing:
- Add the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and heavy whipping cream to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk until smooth. If you would like a thicker icing keep adding more powdered sugar. If the icing is too thick, add more lemon juice or heavy whipping cream to thin it out.
Spread the icing on top of the lemon cake and sprinkle with your favorite colorful sprinkles. Serve immediately.
Got a sweet tooth? Try these recipe favorites:
- Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
- Chocolate Avocado Banana Bread
- Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting