Our Mini Fruit Tart Recipe is a delicious, healthy dessert idea that is perfect for entertaining. Learn to make this easy tart recipe with an amazing sugar cookie fruit crust that’s simple and delicious.
When it comes to entertaining or craving a nutritious dessert, these mini tarts are my ultimate go-to recipe. They’re not only a crowd-pleaser, but also the ideal bite-sized treat!
Throughout the years, I’ve experimented with various fruit tart recipes, but this one takes the cake. The moment I mention “fruit tart,” my kids eagerly gather in the kitchen, ready to lend a hand. Making this recipe has become a cherished family tradition, filled with precious memories.
So, gather your loved ones and embark on a delightful culinary adventure as you whip up these scrumptious mini fruit tartlets. It’s the perfect opportunity to bond and create lasting memories in the kitchen together!
To create these irresistible mini tarts, you’ll need a variety of ingredients to bring out the perfect combination of flavors. Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll need:
For the tart crust:
- All-purpose flour: This provides the base for the crust, giving it structure and texture.
- Melted butter: Adding richness and moisture to the crust, melted butter helps bind the ingredients together.
- Granulated sugar: Sweetens the crust, balancing out the flavors.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the overall taste of the crust, bringing out its flavors.
For the whipped topping:
- Low-fat yogurt (such as peach): This creamy and tangy ingredient adds a delightful flavor and a smooth texture to the topping.
- Cool Whip: A light and fluffy whipped topping that adds a creamy and dreamy element to the tarts.
- Almond or vanilla extract: A splash of either extract enhances the flavor profile of the whipped topping, adding a subtle hint of almond or a classic vanilla essence.
For the fruit filling:
- Blackberries: These juicy, sweet-tart berries bring vibrant color and a burst of flavor to the tarts.
- Diced kiwi: Adding a refreshing tropical touch, diced kiwi provides a tangy and slightly sweet element to the fruit filling.
- Blueberries: These small, plump berries are bursting with natural sweetness and add a pop of blue color to the tarts.
- Diced peaches: Offering a juicy and fragrant flavor, diced peaches complement the other fruits, adding a lovely hint of sweetness.
When combined, these ingredients create a harmonious blend of flavors and textures, making each bite of the mini tarts an absolute delight. So, gather these ingredients and get ready to create a tantalizing dessert that will leave everyone wanting more.
How To Make
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). In a medium-sized bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, melted butter, granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt. Mix these ingredients together until they form a dough. Once mixed, refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes to allow it to firm up.
BAKING TIP: The less you handle the chilled dough, the flakier your crust will be!
After chilling, take the dough out of the refrigerator and crumble it into small chunks using your clean hands. Take a muffin tin and spray it with non-stick spray to prevent the tarts from sticking. Now, press the chilled dough into the bottom of each of the 12 mini muffin tins, forming a crust.
Next, use a fork to polk holes in the dough. Docking the dough, or poking holes in the crust, is an important step in the baking process for these mini tarts. By creating these holes, you allow steam to escape during baking, preventing the formation of bubbles in the dough. These bubbles can cause the crust to cook unevenly and make it challenging to add toppings later on.
To dock the dough, simply use a fork or a toothpick to poke holes in the tops of each crust before baking. This process helps the dough to cook evenly and ensures a crisp and golden crust.
Once you have docked the dough, place the muffin tin in your preheated oven and bake the tarts for 10-12 minutes or until the tops of the crusts turn a beautiful golden brown. Keep an eye on them to avoid overcooking.
Once baked, remove the tin from the oven and let the tarts cool completely before attempting to remove them. To release the tarts from the tin, gently insert a knife straight down and pop each tart loose.
While the tarts are cooling, it’s time to prepare the whipped topping. In a small bowl, blend together the low-fat yogurt (such as peach flavor), Cool Whip, and a splash of almond extract. Mix until well combined, creating a creamy and flavorful topping.
Now, it’s time to assemble the mini tarts. Spread a layer of the Cool Whip mixture onto each tart, using a spoon or spatula. Finally, top the tarts with an assortment of fresh fruits, such as blackberries, diced kiwi, blueberries, and diced peaches. You can either add the fruit right away or wait until just before serving.
These mini tarts are best enjoyed within 1-2 hours of assembly to maintain their freshness. Alternatively, if you want the fruit to stay perfectly fresh, you can add the fruit toppings just before serving. Once ready, delight in these delectable mini tarts, savoring the harmonious blend of flavors and textures in every bite.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to help you make the most of your mini fruit tarts:
- Use chilled dough: Ensure that the tart dough is thoroughly chilled before pressing it into the muffin tins. This will help the crust hold its shape better and prevent it from spreading too much during baking.
- Crumble the dough evenly: When crumbling the dough into small chunks, aim for uniform sizes to ensure even baking. This will help each tart crust bake consistently and create a uniform base for the toppings.
- Don’t overbake: Keep a close eye on the tarts while they’re in the oven to prevent overbaking. The tops of the crusts should turn a golden brown color. Overbaking can result in a dry and hard crust, so it’s important to remove them from the oven at the right time.
- Customize the toppings: Feel free to experiment with different fruits and combinations to suit your taste and preference. Consider using seasonal fruits for the freshest flavors, and mix and match fruits to create visually appealing tarts.
- Serve with a flourish: To add an extra touch of elegance, you can dust the tops of the tarts with powdered sugar before serving. This will give them a beautiful finishing touch and add a touch of sweetness.
- Get creative with presentation: Consider using a variety of fruit shapes and arrangements to create visually stunning mini tarts. You can arrange the fruit in patterns or create colorful designs to make them even more enticing.
- Serve chilled: For a refreshing and delightful experience, serve the mini fruit tarts chilled. Refrigerate them for some time before serving to enhance the flavors and provide a cool treat.
Remember, practice makes perfect, so don’t be afraid to experiment and make adjustments based on your personal preferences. Enjoy the process and have fun creating these mini summer fruit tarts!
Simple ingredient substitutions can transform recipes into new delicious and nutritious creations. Traditional tarts often feature a cream cheese filling, but this recipe takes a different approach by using low-fat yogurt and cool whip to create a light and fluffy filling that bursts with incredible flavor.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can customize the filling by choosing from a wide range of yogurt flavors. Personally, I’ve experimented with various options, but I must admit that peach is my absolute favorite.
If you’re looking to further expand your mini tart filling options, here are some exciting flavors to consider:
- Zesty Lemon: Add a tangy and refreshing twist to your tarts with a lemon-flavored filling. It provides a delightful contrast to the sweet crust and pairs beautifully with a variety of fruits.
- Bursting Blueberry: Indulge in the juicy goodness of blueberries with a blueberry-flavored filling. Its natural sweetness complements the tart crust and adds vibrant color to your mini tarts.
- Succulent Strawberry: Elevate your tarts with the irresistible sweetness of strawberries. A strawberry-flavored filling brings a burst of fruity goodness and pairs wonderfully with fresh strawberry slices on top.
- Creamy Banana: For a smooth and creamy filling, try a banana-flavored option. It brings a luscious texture and a hint of tropical flavor to your mini tarts.
- Mixed Berry Medley: Why settle for just one fruit when you can have a delightful blend of flavors? Experiment with a mixed berry filling that combines the sweetness of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and more for a burst of berry goodness.
With these mini tart filling ideas, you can create a diverse assortment of treats that cater to different taste preferences and occasions. Get creative, explore new flavors, and enjoy the delightful world of mini tarts!
To store these mini tarts, follow these instructions:
- If you have already assembled the tarts with the whipped topping and fruit, it is best to consume them within 1-2 hours to maintain their freshness and texture.
- If you have leftover tart crusts without the toppings, allow them to cool completely. Once cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. This will help maintain their crispness.
- If you have leftover whipped topping, cover the bowl or transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate it. Consume within 1-2 days.
- If you have any leftover fruit, store it separately in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Use it within 1-2 days to ensure optimal freshness.
- When you are ready to enjoy the leftover tarts, you can reassemble them by spreading a fresh layer of whipped topping and adding the fruit toppings just before serving. This will help maintain the texture and presentation of the tarts.
Remember to always use your judgment when consuming leftovers and ensure they are stored properly to maintain food safety.
Can I use a different type of flour for the tart crust?
The recipe calls for all-purpose flour, but you can experiment with different types of flour if you prefer. Keep in mind that using alternative flours may affect the texture and taste of the crust.
Can I substitute the melted butter with another ingredient?
While melted butter provides richness and flavor to the tart crust, you can try using alternative fats such as coconut oil or margarine as a substitute. However, keep in mind that this may slightly alter the taste and texture of the crust.
Can I use frozen fruits instead of fresh fruits?
Fresh fruits are recommended for these mini tarts as they provide a vibrant and juicy flavor. However, if fresh fruits are not available, you can use frozen fruits. Just make sure to thaw and drain them well before using
Can I make these mini tarts ahead of time?
While it’s recommended to assemble the tarts closer to serving time, you can prepare the tart crusts and whipped topping in advance. Store the tart crusts in an airtight container at room temperature and keep the whipped topping refrigerated. Assemble the tarts and add the fruit toppings just before serving for the best results.
More Handheld Recipes
- Mini Zucchini Bread Muffins
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Balls
- Instant Pot Cheesecake Bites
- Instant Pot Mini Meatloaf
Mini Fruit Tart Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt we used peach
- 1/2 cup Cool Whip
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla
- 12 blackberries
- 1/4 cup kiwi diced
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup peaches diced
- Preheat oven and prep the pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Blend the crust dough then chill. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, melted butter, sugar, and salt. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. Once chilled crumble the dough into small chunks with clean hands. Press chilled dough into the bottom of 12 mini muffin tins.
- Bake. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool before removing the tarts from the tin. To remove, insert a knife straight down, popping the tart loose from the tin.
- Blend the topping. In a small bowl blend yogurt, cool whip, and almond extract.
- Assemble. Spread the tart crusts with the cool whip mixture the top with fruit. Serve within 1-2 hours or wait to add the fruit until right before serving.