This recipe took me a while to figure out. I kept adding ingredients to it throughout the day. I didn’t think there was a lot of flavor in the beginning. Until I got it just right for all of you. This Vegan Bolognese with Red Wine and Lentils can be made in your slow cooker and simmer all day.
One of my must-have kitchen products is my All-Clad Slow Cooker. I’ve made so many delicious recipes using this and it cooks evenly and is perfectly done every time I use it. My old slow cooker used to get way too hot and would burn my food. Has that ever happened with your slow cooker? If you are in the market for a brand new crockpot/slow-cooker, I cannot say enough good things about my All-clad. I believe you get what you pay for and for me, this was 10000% worth the money.
Now, back to what we were talking about! When you think of a bolognese, you think of a meaty sauce for Sunday supper. I wanted to make this a vegan-friendly version by replacing the meat with lentils and mushrooms. I like that the flavors are all there but it’s vegan and it’s made in your slow cooker. This is a weeknight staple in our home. Let’s make it!
Ingredients to Make Vegan Bolognese with Red Wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 8 ounces baby bella or cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt and freshly cracked black pepper + more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pinot noir red wine, optional
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- Fresh parsley and basil for serving
- Crusty bread for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until onions begin to look translucent.
- Add diced carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the vegetables soften and begin to brown.
- Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Optional step: deglaze the pan with red wine. Let it simmer until the red wine is mostly absorbed.
- Add the vegetable mixture to your slow cooker.
- Add crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried green lentils, vegetable or chicken broth, and bay leaves to the slow cooker. Stir the ingredients together.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- 15 minutes before you’re ready to serve, cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the box.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves before you serve.
- Serve the sauce over pasta with fresh chopped parsley, basil, and crusty bread.
Dump it all in your slow-cooker!
It really is this simple to make a Sunday supper for your loved ones. We enjoyed serving this with crusty bread and vegan butter. For dessert, how about my Vegan Edible Cookie Dough? It’s SO easy to make and you would never know that it’s vegan.
Looking for more Vegan recipes? Have you tried my: