Our grilled chicken salad recipe is a healthy and delicious salad that’s bursting with flavor and nutrition. With tender, juicy chicken seasoned with a bold blend of Cajun spices and seared to perfection, this salad makes the perfect lunch or dinner. We combine the grilled chicken with a medley of fresh vegetables and a creamy yogurt dressing. It’s a perfect balance of satisfying and nutritious.
What You’ll Love About this Salad Recipe
- The flavor – The juicy and flavorful grilled chicken will make you glad you tried this salad. The chicken spices blended with the dressing are a real treat.
- Yummy homemade dressing – The creamy homemade yogurt dressing comes together quickly and is the perfect complement to the chicken.
- Nutritious – It’s a colorful and nutritious meal that will make you feel energized and satisfied.
What is blackened seasoning?
Blackened seasoning is a spice mix that gives meat a smoky, bold, spicy flavor. The more you use, the richer and bolder the flavor becomes. Usually blackened seasoning is used on chicken, but it can be used on beef or pork as well. It’s made with a blend of spices that create a flavorful and slightly spicy seasoning mixture. While the exact ingredients can vary, you could blend these spices together to make a blackened seasoning if you don’t have a pre-mixed jar.
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
For the Grilled Chicken Salad:
- Grilled Chicken – Chicken thighs or leftover rotisserie chicken can be used instead.
- Sweet baby mix salad greens – Spinach, kale, or mixed greens can be substituted.
- Cherry tomatoes – Diced regular tomatoes or halved grape tomatoes are great alternatives.
- Shredded carrots – Sliced cucumbers or bell peppers can provide a similar crunch.
- Pickled beets (diced or julienned) – Roasted bell peppers can be used for a burst of flavor.
- Goat cheese – Feta or shredded cheddar can be used as substitutes.
- Avocado – Sliced cucumbers or red onions can be used for added freshness.
- Sliced almonds (optional) – Sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts can add a nice crunch if you’re out of almonds.
For the Yogurt Dressing:
- Plain Greek yogurt – Any preferred brand, such as Fage or Oikos, will work well.
- Fresh parsley – Dried parsley can be used if fresh is not available.
- Fresh dill – Dried dill can be used as a substitute. Use about half the amount, or adjust to your taste.
- Fresh chives – Dried chives can be used instead, or you can use finely chopped sweet onion if you prefer.
- Garlic cloves – Garlic powder or minced garlic from a jar can be used.
- Lemon juice – Lime juice can be substituted for a tangy twist.
- Olive oil – Avocado oil or canola oil can be used as alternatives.
- White wine vinegar – Apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar will also work just fine, with a touch of a different flavor.
- Kosher salt – Adjust the amount of salt according to taste preferences.
How to Make
STEP ONE: Grill the chicken. Rub chicken breasts with olive oil, blackened seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook on the grill or in a grill pan over medium-high heat until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil loosely, and let rest until ready to cut.
STEP TWO: Blend the dressing. Add the Greek yogurt, parsley, dill, chives, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and salt to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
STEP THREE: Layer the salad. Add a layer of lettuce, followed by tomatoes, shredded carrots, beets, and goat cheese. Top with grilled chicken and avocado slices. Serve with the yogurt dressing and almond slices if desired.
What to Serve with This Salad
This grilled chicken salad is a meal on its own, but if you want to bulk up your dinner, here are some things that go well with it:
- Crusty bread or warm dinner rolls
- Garlic bread or garlic knots
- Grilled vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, or asparagus
- Quinoa or rice pilaf
- Corn on the cob
- Grilled shrimp or salmon instead or as well as the chicken
- Fresh fruit salad
- Sweet potato fries
- Roasted potatoes
Any of these sides will complement your salad and make this a more filling meal!
Tips and Recipe Notes:
- Anytime you grill meat, make sure your grill is nice and hot before you place your meat on it. This will give it an instant seal and trap all the juices inside for juicier, more tender meat.
- Cut the avocado just before serving to keep it fresh.
- Let the grilled chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing. This will help to keep it juicy and tender.
How to Store Leftovers
After enjoying your delicious Grilled Chicken Salad, you might have some leftovers. Simply store the salad and the dressing separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for up to 2-3 days.
How to Reheat
If you have leftover grilled chicken and want to reheat it, simply place it in a microwave-safe dish and heat it for 30-60 seconds until warmed through.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
While you can prepare some of the ingredients in advance, it’s best to assemble the salad just before serving. This will help to make sure that the vegetables stay fresh and crisp. Go ahead and cut and chop your veggies ahead of time (except for the avocado) and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to serve. You can also make your dressing and store it covered in the fridge for up to 2 days before you serve this salad.
Can This Recipe Be Made Gluten-Free? Dairy-Free?
This Grilled Chicken Salad is naturally gluten-free. Just make sure to check the labels of any seasoning or dressing you use to ensure they are gluten-free as well.
To make this salad dairy free, you need to replace the cheese with a dairy-free substitute and dairy-free yogurt in place of the Greek Yogurt.
It usually takes about 12 minutes to grill boneless chicken breast on the grill.
If you like a spicy kick, you can add sliced jalapeños, sprinkle some red pepper flakes, or drizzle hot sauce over the salad.
Yes! The dressing can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Just give it a good stir before using it.
Looking for more recipes? Give these a try
Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon blackened seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 oz sweet baby mix salad greens
- 5 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup pickled beets diced or julienned
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1 avocado sliced
- Sliced almonds optional
- 10 ounces plain Greek yogurt I used Chobani
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Grill the chicken. Rub chicken breasts with olive oil, blackened seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook on the grill or in a grill pan over medium-high heat, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil loosely and let rest until ready to cut.
- Blend the dressing. Add the Greek yogurt, parsley, dill, chives, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and salt to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Layer the salad. Add a layer of lettuce, followed by tomatoes, shredded carrots, beets, and goat cheese. Top with grilled chicken and avocado slices. Serve with the yogurt dressing and almond slices if desired.